Hey everyone!
I was hoping
to get an introductory post up before this one, but things have been hectic, and since it’s been two weeks since Reading I thought I should hurry up with this one before it became irrelevant!
to get an introductory post up before this one, but things have been hectic, and since it’s been two weeks since Reading I thought I should hurry up with this one before it became irrelevant!
I'm a bit of a music obsessive, meaning any opportunity I have to listen to music I will be blasting it. So obviously Reading Festival was going to be the highlight of my year. It was blazing sunshine all weekend, and I spent the majority of it sitting on the grass with one of my best friends, drinking cider and listening to as much music as we possibly could. Absolute bliss.
The line up for this year’s festival was amazing (as per usual), which made it very difficult for me to narrow it down at all, but here they are, my top 5 Reading performances!
5) Eminem
Naturally Eminem was the headliner that I, and the majority of the other festival go-ers, were most excited to see, but sadly he ended up being the biggest disappointment of the weekend. I was actually considering leaving him out of my top 5, purely because he rapped along to himself on a backing track, but he's such a King that it felt wrong. Therefore I gave him 5th place, based on his epic set list which had me squealing like a fan girl after every song introduction. Sadly the man, the myth, the legend declined the BBC's request to film his performance so you can't watch it yourselves but just to rub it in I will include the set list here:
Survival
Won't Back Down
3am
Square Dance
Business
Kill You White America
Mosh
No Love
Just Don't Give a F**k
Criminal
Cleanin' Out My Closet
Way I am
Fast Lane
Lighters
Airplanes
Stan
Sing For the Moment
Like Toy Soldiers
Forever
'Till I Collapse
Cinderella Man
Love the Way You Lie
My Name is
The Real Slim Shady
Without Me
Not Afraid
Lose Yourself
The last 5 songs alone made up for the lack of audience interaction and the bad sound quality, (which ended up being down to the blown speaker we ended up standing next to, so unlucky!). The highlight of the whole evening had to be Dido getting up on stage for ‘Stan’, I mean who else can actually say that they’ve seen that live? Oh, and it was also pretty incredible when I successfully managed to rap along to the entirety of ‘Lose Yourself’, obviously my greatest life achievement so far ;).
4) Deaf Havana
I’m not going to lie to you, before Reading I had never even heard of Deaf Havana. I’m ashamed at myself for my lack of music knowledge but I’m just grateful that my friend Sarah dragged me along to their slot, you’ve improved my iPod for the better! What really bowled me over was James Veck Gilodi’s incredibly understated voice, from the moment he opened his mouth I got shivers down my spine, so cheesy but true. Normally when I’m not familiar with a band I find it difficult to truly enjoy them live, but I was enraptured by the entire set list. I was even brought to tears several times because their lyrics were so goddamn beautiful, it’s tragic how underrated they are! If like me you are a Deaf Havana virgin, seriously go and check them out because I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.
3) The 1975
This band has been tipped as the next new big thing on the indie scene, and after being lucky enough to see them live I’m not surprised as to why. We arrived late to the set after a quick toilet detour and were stunned to be faced with such a vast sea of people, desperately trying to clamber over one another for a peek inside the tiny Festival Republic tent. It was extraordinary to see such a large audience for such a new band but after the incredible success of their first single, ‘Chocolate’, it was no surprise.
Although I spent the majority of the set separated from Sarah and being crushed by hundreds of people, I was still bowled over, which says a lot about their live performance. I’ve been a bit obsessed with ‘The 1975’ for a while and so was familiar with the majority of their set list, but the band’s amazing energy had the whole crowd going crazy for every single song. They actually released their self titled album this week and I’m already on the lookout for any London gigs they might be doing in the future, so I’m on a bit of a ‘The 1975’ overload! My favourite song has to be ‘Sex’, their latest single. Download it, roll your car windows down, blast it and thank me later!
2) Haim
Haim’s short afternoon slot has to be one of the best gigs I have been to in my life, period. The three sisters have had every music critic, DJ and music nut raving about their live performances after their numerous festival appearances this year. I have watched their Glastonbury performance at least 10 times and ‘Don’t Save Me’ has to be one of my favourite songs ever so naturally I was chomping at the bit too see them! I was lucky enough (and fierce enough) to bag myself a front row spot which was amazing, there’s nothing quite like being in the thick of it all!
(I actually took the above photo - such skills)
They only played seven songs but my oh my did they make the most of it. All three of the girls were brilliantly charismatic, with amazing stage presence and most importantly they were clearly incredibly passionate about what they do. The quantity of talent between them is almost unheard of, so many incredible guitar solos, so little time to talk about them. Fittingly they also paid tribute to their main influence by covering Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Oh Well’, which as a major Mac fan made the entire set for me, they smashed it!
Surprisingly reviews of the performance have been less than complimentary, but as a front row participant I can vouch for the fact that this is utter rubbish. Seriously, go and be wowed by them yourselves!
1) Biffy Clyro
Every time that I try to tell someone about this set I get so overwhelmed that I can barely get my words out. If you know me you will know that I’m rarely speechless, which is a testament to how incredible it was! I was actually at Reading when they performed in 2010 but missed the set because my sister and I were hungry.... I know, what idiots! I may have had to wait an extra three years to see them but boy were they worth every second of anticipation. The thing that made them so exceptionally better than anyone else that performed was how grateful they were to be there. The image of Simon Neil humbly grinning whilst the entire audience sung ‘Many of Horror’ back to him will stay with me forever, such a simply beautiful moment.
To accompany every song there were , pyrotechnics, lasers, flares and strobe lights. They’d clearly put a lot of thought into their show and it was flawless. Simon Neil even set his guitar alight Jimi Hendrix style, how could anyone top that? Of course it was Biffy’s incredible back catalogue that made the entire evening. From my personal favourite, the devastatingly beautiful ‘Folding Stars’, to the old school ‘57’, there was a bit of everything for old and new Biffy fans to enjoy. They came back for the encore with ‘Mountains’; and you could barely hear the band for everyone else’s singing! I can hand on heart say that it was the best gig I have ever been to, and I feel so blessed to have been part of their incredible moment. All I can say is: Mon the Biff!
Well there you have it, my first ever blog post, hope everyone enjoyed it! If you were at Reading, or saw any of the highlights leave a comment telling me what your favourite performance was. Would be cool to compare notes
X
Disclaimer: All pictures are property of the BBC unless otherwise stated. I do not own these photos.






No comments:
Post a Comment